SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

any look-alikes for copperbellied water snake?? Wayne??

dirtgirl
14 years ago

It just came back up in discussion today and I decided I needed to ask... a year or so ago I stumbled across a snake that was totally new for me. It was lying submerged in an old tractor rut near a bottomland field we farm, and was taking advantage of the tadpoles that were trapped there as the water evaporated. I realized right away that it was not the normal northern water snake I usually find and managed to catch it for a closer look. It was an absolutely gorgeous creature, with a belly the color of brilliant reddish- orange, no checkered spots or bands, just the red. It was very dark on top, and if there was any patterning it was hard to make out against the general dark coloration. I released it and that night got the books out to try to narrow it down. I was surprised to find that the closest look-alike to me was a copperbellied water snake, which is protected in our state of Illinois. The field is small, about 20 acres, and surrounded by fairly mature floodplain forest with a large creek running through the middle of it.

Before I go thinking I've got some rare snake that needs to possibly be reported and verified, are there any look-alikes for the copperbelly? I know the plain belly is more common but it doesn't look quite the same. I only wish I had my camera at the time.

Don't worry...this "farmer" has her priorities set differently than most. Critical habitat rates higher up on my scale than just another field of corn ANY DAY.

Comments (2)

Sponsored