SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobedens

New mystery

BobEdens
19 years ago

I was driving to the home of the local perigrine pair and saw a big bird, it looked like a huge hawk. It was several different shades of brown it did NOT have any white that I could see, the tail had no white bars they looked like variant shades of brown. The bird was larger than the Great blue herons that I normally see in the same area (there were no birds in the air other than this one) He appeared to be checking all the heron nests in the area (there are 50 heron nests in the area, easy but I don't think any eggs yet) after he flew from tree to tree for a couple of minutes, he caught a current off the highway (that runs across the top of a dam). By the time I turned the car around and found him again, he was a tiny spec, several miles away. He seemed to be following the river.

I tried my best to identify its head, the best I could do is a pretty strong guess it had a head (which would cancel out the most logical ID, Turkey Vulture) question is, I've never seen a TV searching tree tops. could it have been a Golden Eagle?? FootNote: as soon as the bird left the area, the Great Blue Herons took to the sky and they had slightly less wing span and much less bulk than the mystery bird.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor