SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
resqworker

Stunning Coopers Hawk

resqworker
16 years ago

I have to admit that I am a real amateur at birdwatching however what happened to me last week was so wonderful I wanted to share! I love all wildlife and am active In animal and wildlife rescue, however birds have always thrilled me especially the raptors,I just moved to Dunkirk NY from Buffalo NY and am In a residential neighborhood, I have a border of 5 foot bushes surrounding my house, In where there are always a bunch of sparrows and I sit and watch when I am lazing around, Into this peace came A Hawk wich landed on the top of the bushes not 6 ft from my window!

He was not a red tail and had beautiful striping under the wings and tail. A bird book Identified him as a Coopers Hawk. ,he delicately hopped to the lawn at which point the sparrows did nothing. so he took to flight, turned back and crashed onto the top of the bushes,sending the sparrows in every direction, he did not get a meal, so once again he flew up...swooped down as smooth as glass and this time crashed HORIZONTALLY thru my bushes!!, sending sparrows,sticks and leaves flying all ways! no meal again so he swooped up to sit on a wire at which point I ran upstairs to get a better look. what a beauty he was! he disappeared only to return about half hr later to my lawn, but just hopped around the grass he looked quite healthy and fat, Is this unusual behavior? I have not seen him since, but I am always scanning the trees hoping to. either way It was a great experience!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored