SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garusll

Red-tails Pair Bonding

gailr
19 years ago

Yesterday, while 'scoping my meadow and old woods, I noticed the resident pair of Red-tailed hawks that live & nest on this (retired) farm property were pair bonding.

They were perched in the same tall tree at the edge of my old woods for much of the day, with 1 or the other occassionally flying off for meal hunting.

Their nesting tree is near the top of an OLD Maple, 3 trees away and is at the edge of the woods where it meets a clearing and my cropland, which is rented out each year.

They have used this same nest for the past few years, and i will be checking it, by spotting scope, for fresh evergreen insertions into the sides of the nest .. a definite indication they may choose this same nest site again this year.

The hawk nest itself looks in remarkably good shape, so I may have missed seeing them bringing sticks to arrange into their nest, which they do every year to ready it for another nesting season.

Last year I was able to watch, through spotting scope, this pair of hawks sky dancing .. a first for me! For those who are not familiar with this, sky dancings when the breeding pair of hawks fly through thesky in large,loopy circles that spiral smaller & smaller until the hawks are close enough to each other to grasp talons. Then they spin around & around (if they are succesful at hanging on) tumbling togethre in a circle, until they let go and each rockets off in a different direction.

I also watched the male hawk divebombing his and his mate"s nest area, showing off for the female hawk in or near the nest.

Fascinating to watch and I hope to see it again. I always observe "my" hawks from a distance, using a spotting scope from 800-900 feet away, from a meadow hilltop hawk observation post I have set up. I never approach the nesting area myself, as I do not want my scent or tracks to alert predators to the nesting area.

Later on in the season, I was also able to observe the hawk nestlings in the nest; followed along as they first ventured from the nest (not flying yet) to exercise their wings; and finaly watching as one of the 2 fledged successfully from the nest and flew for the first time!

For much of the remainder of the Summer, I was able to watch the hawk family hunt together over my meadow, until the juvies departed, probably for Braddock Bay, Canada, sometime in early to mid September, to form up into their own juvie communities prior to Fall migration.

Gail R (WNY)

Comments (2)

Sponsored