SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brazosvalleygardener

How I Prepare the Soil (very pic heavy)

I was preparing some of my several tomato beds for the fall garden yesterday and thought I would go ahead and snap a few photos of the process to share with folks here. Please note, this is how I prepare my tomato beds for my soil conditions. The following method may or may not be suitable for your growing conditions. You need to have a soil analysis performed to determine exactly what you need to work with.

You might ask,"what are your soil conditions?". My soil, in it's natural state and at the back of my property, is extremely sandy to the extent that it is virtually void of any usable NPK or anything else for that matter. So I have had to start pretty much from ground zero (pun intended) as far as building soil goes. Someone once told me that "loam was not built in a day" and while I agree with that, I don't want to wait three to five years to achieve the soil conditions that I desire for growing tomatoes.

So after stumbling a bit for the first couple of seasons, I came upon the following method for preparing my garden soil. For those who know Earl and his (hole method) for planting tomatoes, my method is a modified version of his. The main difference is that my method does not have the hole digging part of the process.

Here goes.....

Below are the ingredients that I use. Nothing more and nothing less.

{{gwi:1389168}}

Here is what a garden row looks like after a growing season. Note that the sandy soil virtually consumes any soil amendments applied early in the season. It looks as if nothing has ever been grown there.

{{gwi:1389169}}

First I rake the soil to remove any debris such as leave, etc and to smooth out the soil a bit.

{{gwi:1389170}}

Next, I take three bags of Black Kow composted cow manure and randomly distribute along the row.

{{gwi:1389171}}

I then rake the cow manure such that is is more or less distributed all over the row.

{{gwi:1389172}}

Next I apply bonemeal. Keeping in mind the number of plants I will place in the row, I take a closed-fist handful of bonemeal and distribute primarily where the plant will be planted but in all directions out from where the plant is placed. One closed-fist handful of bonemeal for each location with that row.

{{gwi:1389174}}

A closeup of the distributed bonemeal.

{{gwi:1389176}}

Then I apply the epsom salts. The epsom salts are applied in the same manner as the bonemeal.

{{gwi:1389178}}

A closeup of the distributed epsom salts.

{{gwi:1389180}}

Next, 2 pounds of TomatoTone is evenly distributed over the whole 3' wide x 20' long bed.

{{gwi:1389181}}

A closeup of the distributed TomatoTone.

{{gwi:1389182}}

The whole row is then raked with a 3 prong cultivator hoe. A great deal of pressue is applied to the cultivator hoe to really mix the soil amendments and to get them as deep in the soil as possible. Below is the row after being raked.

{{gwi:1389181}}

A closeup of the raked soil amendments.

{{gwi:1389182}}

And finally, here are two prepared rows with the tomatoes planted and soaker hose in place and ready for the mulch to be applied.

{{gwi:1389183}}

And here is a photo of the growth results from tomatoes planted in a row prepared per the above method. Note that all of the photos above are from soil preparation I did yesterday and the photo below is of plants grown this past spring.

{{gwi:1331261}}

Jay

Comments (11)