SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

To have a lawn like Lou's...

bobbi_p
15 years ago

Hi Everyone (and Lou in Midlothian in particular),

I've taken the master gardener class and know that, in theory, healthy St. Augustine should be able to outcompete most anything in sunny situations. I want to avoid herbicides and pesticides, but I'm afraid I haven't been successful in the past.

Now, we've moved back to Cypress, have a new house, with a new lawn (sod laid in both March-house construction and July-pool completion). Here's my problem: the sod laid by the contractor has another grass/weeds in it. We're now into winter and the oxalis is taking off like gangbusters in a few areas.

I hope to spread compost over the entire lawn to up the organic content of my soil (largely sand right now because of builder's practices). There were a few particular areas of the lawn that dried out badly this summer. Do I need to wait for active growth?

Keeping in mind, I'd rather spend money on new beds, bedding mix, and ornamentals/trees, can someone outline an economical, but effective method of weed control, compost application, fertilization, and timing for a lawn like Lou's (see link to other post with pictures of his lawn)? I'm on the NW side of Houston in Cypress in a subdivision with strict covenants that won't allow rain barrels/alfalfa tea barrels, etc. Therefore, dry products or ones that can be mixed and applied immediately (as opposed to steeping for some time) are necessary.

Do I ask the impossible?

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm link with picture's of Lou's yard...

Comments (6)