SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Bird Identification?? (challenging, since no pic)

brit5467
14 years ago

It is probably futile to describe the bird without a pic. But my camera battery died and since this was this first time I saw him, I donÂt know if heÂll be back.

I say Âhe but it may be a female and thatÂs why I canÂt find it in my Audubon bird book since it mainly shows males.

HeÂs about the same size as a sparrow but not as plump and all the sparrows in my book have more marking. He has no distinct marking on his face, head, neck or around the eyes.

His chest is marked just like a Pine Siskin but not the same color. ItÂs light gray, almost white with mottled grey markings. He is a medium shade of gray. His wings are darker grey and have very distinct lighter markings like the Eastern Wood Peewee.

His beak is like a sparrowÂs but a bit longer and it is a littler darker grey than his head. His head is shaped like a doveÂs. His tail seemed somewhat short and narrow.

Bear in mine, IÂm comparing him to PICTURES from a book and not my own personal experience with these birds. As well, I found that when I Googled many of these birds, the pics looked nothing like mine. SoÂ..???

I live in Virginia, on the coast of the Chesapeake Bay, somewhat close to the NC border.

Any bird experts out there that know all these birds by sight and can picture them and what IÂm trying to describe? If not, I certainly understand.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions