SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovelycherry

Eroding Hillside Challenge

lovelycherry
17 years ago

My husband and i bought a home on Long Island one block from the Long Island Railroad which he rides daily. The back of the house has a steep hill that abuttes the Long Island Railroad, trains run slowly by and infrequently. My yard house does not have a retaining wall. Many of my neighbors do, one of the neighbors recently broke and the landscapers said it would be $30,000 to replace and fix it. It was made from Railroad ties and kept the back of the property from eroding away into the track. Long Island at least the North Shore where I live (I do not have waterfront property) is all sand and clay.

The back hill/slope is weeds which consist of sterile grape vine and weed trees. The grape vines seem to pull down every thing in their way. they also create a dense canopy that does not allow under growth to survivie.

I need help to fix this. We do not have any money to spend on a large retaining wall. It needs to be a home job that may take a few years.

We need protection from the view of the train and erosion control. I can see the dirt sliding down.

My husband thinks if we put gravel down the hill it will keep it in place, I am not sure about that.

I will post pics but thought I would get the discussion started.

Comments (25)

Sponsored