SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjustice_gw

Say No to wood chips (tomato killer)

MrsJustice
15 years ago

Dear Carolyn

I would be honored to drop everything to be at your side, if you need me.

Hello all tomato Forum Members

I have learned so much from you and all the Tomato Forum members over the years. You and others have giving me especial knowledge, that keeping my Small Heirloom Farm Growing, even in wake of problems, especially this year. My husband and I decided to work with a neighbor that wanted to cut down a tree in my big garden, which over hanged in his back yard, along with 1/3 of this Oat tree growing on his property mainly the large roots too, leaving the wood chips. The company he hired gave me a good deal to cut a tree on my property. This tree was not Oat, and not as big as that Oat tree, but half rotten. I gave his company use of my Tomato Farm in January to cut down the tree, leaving the woodchips, and 250.00 to cut down that tree on my property with-out chipping because of it's rotten conditions to avoid fungus or insect problems.

This was the biggest mistake yet with my tomatoes, because the wood chips changed the Ph balance of my soil which I worked so hard over the years to obtain.

I donot understand how that happen, because every month starting the end of January when the "Wood Chips Mountain" would reach about 164 F with steam coming from top I would remove the top layer an till into the soil February, March, April, First tomatoes in late May 2008 Died. The heirlooms died in only the area of wood chips, in that area of my big grader. I planted a thick crop cover, with over six thousand tomatoes plants growing in the shade area close to the house.

The chop cover did it's job of removing any sap from wood chips, but I have to replace phosphorous and potassium to the soil using Rosa Rush Organic fertilizer and Organic plant food drops. Than transplant large tomato plants back to their location making sure I do not disturb dirt from root ball.

I am thankful and blessed that the lord gave me the ideal to plants all of the six thousand seeds I used to get my certification as a Professional seed saver last year. They saved my heirloom farm this year, along with the tomato knowledgeÂs I received from you-all over many many years.

The lowe's Stones & Bush Goliath, Opalka, Red and Green Zebra, Amish salad, has made people who come by happy.

All other's crops of heirlooms will truly be late season this year.

I need a break, and will be happy to take a brake, to take care of Carolyn, Amen!!!

Can someone tell me, why oat woodchips killed my Hierlooms Tomatoes?

Comments (32)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH