SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Non-toxic super insect repellent

rachel_frome_ky
13 years ago

Still tweaking this, but if the need arises some day; this insect repellent was tested two days in a row in Thailand woods and against fierce Weaver Ants, face flies, and mosquitoes and it works so far.

I was so being horribly bitten each time I spent time in the jungle that I had to have an answer, so came up with a new invention. It needed to be cheap, quick to make, with easy-to-get ingredients, so I drew on what I used to repel insects from plants in Kentucky-dish soap and vegetable oil mixed in water, sprayed on plants.

I put a glob of lavender bath gel (for the soap+masking scent) with a glug of vegetable oil in a bowl of water, smeared it on skin. Everywhere I covered was NOT bitten. A couple of tiny spots I missed or where oil had rubbed off, like on waistband and elbow, and one spot on my nose were bitten once yesterday, but I rubbed oil from from nearby skin over the spots and nothing else bit me. Even face flies turned back after brushing against the oil/gel I'd put around my eyes and the whine of mosquitoes would first get loud, then instantly vanish. A housefly once landed on my hand after I'd washed my hands, but otherwise, nothing.

I left the oily/soapy water in the bowl, added more water, and used it again the second day. The mix was was thinner, more diffuse, but worked just as well.

Drawbacks, and hence, the need for tweaking;

the cheap corn oil has a slight oily odor the bath gel lavender scent did not mask enough, and

I felt slightly greasy as well so took a bath both days after I came back indoors

It's possible that even less oil is needed than I thought and I can find an even stronger scent to add to the mix to mask the oily smell, or I can use another kind of oil, maybe scented oil, but I was going for cheap. I suppose the tea tree oil I used in Kentucky worked mainly because it is oily. A while back I tested just vegetable oil diluted in water on the horses to repel flies and on myself to repel no-see-ums and it didn't work well, so don't know.

I put this recipe on Twitter (I'm "rachelbirder" there)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths