SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Safe critter repellents

mulberryknob
15 years ago

Relevant to another thread, I wanted to say something about safe ways to repell unwanted garden critters. (Dawn is absolutely right IMO about moth balls. I used them for a while years ago and then learned better.)

Human hair is a deer repellent. We have used it tied in cheesecloth bags hung in orchard trees, or just sprinkled over deer favorites, such as strawberries. Blood meal repels all small critters, bunnies, voles, squirrels, chipmunks--but attracts dogs. And human urine repels lots of critters. (Send your husband out to "mark" the perimeter of the garden...under cover of darkness, of course.

There are also companies that specialize in non-toxic products. Spray-N-Grow is one. (Although they sell rotenone which we used for years until we learned, after DH developed Parkinson's, that the use of rotenone has been linked to the development of that disease. My husband also has other risk factors--red-green color blindness, Norwegian ancestry, and working in a shop full of diesel fumes for years.)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH