SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

anyone here have a balcony from which they feed birds?

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

I've done really well with feeding the wild birds when I had an apartment with access to a yard with trees. Now however I live in an apartment building and have a 4th floor balcony. The balcony overlooks a small parking lot, and beyond that are yards with trees, but the nearest trees are about 70 or so yards away.

I can see lots of birds flying over these yards, but naturally never see the birds flying anywhere over our parking lot, not to mention anywhere near our balconies.

I currently have a good number of plants on my balcony, some of which are vines growing up trellises. I have also just ordered some small shrubs and a Japanese maple, which I will plan to put up on a small table so that it can be more noticeable to birds flying in the vicinity.

Before I invest time and money in buying feeders and seed, I'm wondering what my chances are...has anyone else in a similar situation been successful in attracting birds to their balcony? Is it possible that with the proliferation of folks who now feed the wild birds via bird feeders, that birds have come to 'recognize' bird feeder shapes, and that they hold potential food? ;-) So in other words, is it possible that simply by my having a hanging pole that extends out from my balcony, and with a feeder hanging from it, that birds who happen to see it will immediately recognize that it likely holds food, and come pay a visit? ;-)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!