SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_k_orlando

Anyone have any luck feeding your yard birds suet?

tony_k_orlando
16 years ago

We have been having a great time watching all the gold finches on the thistle sock and every other feeder we have out back. The are turning quite yellow these days.

We have cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, doves and occasional black birds and red tail hawks attacking the birds on the feeder.

Seeing how these lil finches love to kick seed out of the feeders for whatever reason, I thought I would make a suet feeder and homemade suet loaded with thistle and sunflower seeds as well as peanut butter and cornmeal.

These birds are comfortable in the yard, they dont fly too far from the feeders when I refill em and come back before I even make it back to the deck YET they wont even consider eating the suet. They were on the suet feeder, several of em within minutes BUT will not bother eating any. I put lil chunks of the suet on the other feeders today trying to see if maybe the doves will eat it, but at this point it doesnt look like they will.

Maybe this is a cold weather only type food?

Anyone have birds that enjoy this stuff? About 2 yrs ago, I bought some suet and it rotted away because none of it was eaten.

Looking forward to hearing about your suet experiences.

Click on the included link to see how yummy this looks.

Thanks

Tony

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v310/tonykrapil/suet%20feeder/?albumview=slideshow

Comments (12)