SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdist

A Goldfinch story

birdist
13 years ago

Hung out a nyjer sock and for two or three weeks no one came. Then one day a pair of Lesser Goldfinches flew directly from my fountain to the sock. Well it snowballed from then ... word got around. First one sock, then two, now four socks and they're still quarreling over space. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I now find myself responsible for feeding dozens of these little darlings. Gonna have to look for a bulk price for thistle. But they're worth it. I love 'em. They're incredible fliers, second only the hummers in agility.

I can easily see 30 or 40 or them at one time stacked six or eight high on the socks. In the right light you can see a constant rain of particles raining down. I'm assuming that it's mostly husks as I dont imagine they eat the thistle whole ... but they eat a lot and well .. they crap a lot, as evidenced from below. So what I'm wondering, if I can be so off the wall to ask, is do they take turns going to the bottom of the sock to relieve themselves or do they just go all over those below them? It gets pretty crowded.

Forgive my tacky curiosity.

Image link:

Comments (2)