SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Little Green Hornworm Now has Some Markings

susanlynne48
17 years ago

I checked him/her yesterday and today. Wow! What a difference a day makes in the growth of these little cats. Still very small, but now has some distinguished pale slashes on the side. Could be either a pandora or a eumorpha, both very similar cats.

Either one of these can be a brown form as well. If they turn brown, what instar do they usually turn brown in, if anyone knows. Or, do they emerge from the egg brown? Trying to learn more about these moths, but very little recorded info on early instars and hatchlings, unless I'm just not finding the correct websites or books.

If not, can someone please point me to a good reference book? I have the Peterson guides and all kinds of butterfly books. I also have a moth book written in a narrative form, something like Moths: Stars of the Nighttime Garden??? It's very good, but I have misplaced it, and don't know where it went. Still neither source really discusses the "early trimester" (LOL) of the moth caterpillar.

This little guy/girl is putting on weight and getting a bit chubby now, too.

Another question is parasitization. At what instar do they begin to show whether or not they have been parasitized. I find no markings on this little cat that would indicate it has been parasitized, but don't know if it could show up later or not. The ones I usually see are much larger and the parasitization is quite obvious at that point. Does it usually occur in the egg, or immediately after hatching?

Susan

Comment (1)