SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Injured Juvie Gold Finch or sick bird??

lisa11310
14 years ago

I noticed a gold finch looking a little odd in the birdbath yesterday. Not sure what it was, I think the tilt of the head and slightly labored breathing, but then it seem to shake itself into a normal stance, hopped in, splashed around then flew off. Today I noticed a very slow bird twice at the feeders. Im thinking OH NO! SALMONELLA! There was a post about an outbreak last week. However this bird did fly off, tail seems a bit short though pointed while perched and coloring is drab, lack of defined wingbars. This evening I spotted a bird on the hopper feeder that apeared to be sleeping, again odd behavior. I was able to walk right up to it and pick it up. It did squack. It's in a critter keeper in the house (its COLD). I sure hope this is just one bird I am seeing. The thing is there is none of the "puffed" up feathers,no beak residue, and no "bobing". The sick birds were able to fly off even with these symptoms, it was normally a day or two after spotting these symptoms before I could catch one. I tried to look up pictures of "baby goldfinches" amazing how many pictures are not even gold finches. Does anybody have any good pictures of one about 2 weeks out of the nest and pretty much just beginning to feed it'self? Anybody have any Salmonella outbreaks in MI? How about any other suggestions on what may be going on with this bird. Birdbath and feeders were bleached tonight.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH