SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

any male black widow look alikes?

dirtgirl
16 years ago

My mother-in-law, who is terrified of any living creature that isn't domesticated, caught a spider near one of our outbuildings the other day. The fact that she saved it in a jar for me instead of just smashing its guts out on the spot is amazing in itself...

She knows I am the naturalist in the family and wants me to find out what it is. I thought at first glance that it very closely resembles a male black widow, and upon getting online and doing a bit of searching I've come to the conclusion that I might just be right. Of course all this doesn't worry me in the least...we have recluses and widows here if you know where to look and they harm no one if respected and left alone. She will be hoping for an answer soon and if I even decide to tell her anything, I want to make sure I am correct...if it is truly a widow (even a harmless male) she will likely go into hystrionics. If it's an ant mimic or something , then that will ease her angst somewhat.

If you know of any good links to pics or any suggestions I'd love to hear about it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living