SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_rc

grubs, patchy lawn, timing

karen_rc
17 years ago

Hi All,

I've read through the FAQ and searched grubs, but couldn't find an answer to my questions.

I live about an hour north of Toronto, Ontario and though winter got a late start this year, March was one of the coldest ones on record.

We had a severe infestation of white grubs last year and treated them in late September with nematodes. The yard had been dug up by raccoons and was a real mess. Now that the weather has improved we need to try to recover the yard. I was excavating a couple of inches of grass away from the edges of built-in planters and noticed live, white grubs under the sod.

I know the ground is still quite cold, but the grubs were wiggling. We went to the garden center, but they don't have nematodes available for another 3-4 weeks. My questions are: would the nematodes I put down in September still be active or do I need fresh ones? Should I just leave the yard alone until I put down more nematodes?

We're hoping to cover the entire yard with an inch of topsoil then re-seed the heck out of it, particularly where there's no grass left from the infestation. If I do that, will the grubs that are in the soil now attack the new grass?

It's all such a mess, any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Karen in Keswick :o)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022