SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Problems on my Vintage Wine tomatoes - anyone know?

cziga
12 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Vintage Wine tomatoes this summer and I'm not sure what's going wrong with them.

All my tomatoes (about 15 varieties) are in the same general garden plot, so same soil conditions/sun conditions/water conditions/insect conditions etc. They are in the ground (not pots or raised beds), they were all started from seed earlier this Spring. Every other variety is doing fine. Vintage Wine is the only type of tomato that is having this problem. I don't know what it is, or what to do about it (ie how to prevent it).

Here are 2 photos, tried to get as good detail of the skin issues as I could. It is a surface skin issue. If you cut the tomato in half, once you get past the first 1-2 mm of skin, the tomato inside is just fine and normal.

{{gwi:1384514}}

{{gwi:1384515}}

Last year, I tried Vintage Wine as well and it was very problematic ... not this exact problem, but something else (not sure what). I'm thinking that maybe this tomato is difficult to grow? Or perhaps it just doesn't like the micro-climate of my garden? Or just bad luck 2 years in a row?

Comments (8)