SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cha_cha16

Have I lost my entire tomato crop?!?!

cha_cha
14 years ago

I've been nursing my tomatoes through the heat of our desert summer, just waiting for those little green globes to ripen into those red garden jewels that we wait and long for every year. When my first tomatoes started to blush I plucked them off the vines before the birds could get to them, moved them indoors and waited for mother nature to finish the job. 2 weeks went by and the little buggers weren't any closer to being ripe than when I picked them. They all had a blotchy yellow color to them and when I would cut them open they were either green or white - not red. The plants look fairly healthy but they have been plagued with a fairly heavy white fly and aphid infestation which I have been battling for months.

I have been searching and searching for answers and I finally came up with "irregular ripening" caused by white flies. Here's the explanation that I found:

"While the effects of silverleaf whitefly can be easily seen on leaves the of squash plants, the fruit is the only known portion of the tomato plant that displays symptoms of the silverleaf whitefly-injury. When the silverleaf whiteflies feed on tomato plants they inject toxins into the plant which cause irregular ripening of the tomato fruit. Mature green fruit appear normal, as symptoms are not displayed until ripening. Symptoms typically appear on the outside of the tomato as a green or yellow areas appearing in a longitudinal pattern that fail to ripen. The unripe area extends fairly deep into the fruit. Although some tomatoes that are affected will appear to eventually ripen, the inside of the fruit will remain green in color."

From what I've read in other articles it seems that once the toxin is in the plant there is no chance of the fruit properly ripening. To make matters worse I still have enough white flies to cause continued problems. So, is it time to give up and tear out all the tomato plants? Has anyone else had this experience?

Here's a pic of some irregular ripened Juliet tomatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Dame's Blog

Comments (9)