Loud Nocturnal Bird, What is it?

LindaMA

There has been some type of bird, in the tree outside of our bedroom window, who has been making a racket every night once the sun goes down. It actually sounds a little like a duck, it's song is sort of like a quack.

Is anyone else hearing this type of bird at night? Does anyone have any idea what type of bird it could be? It's been keeping me awake at night or waking me up if I do happen to fall asleep.

I have all types of birds in my yard, they visit my feeders, bath in my birdbath and nest in my birdhouses, but I have never heard this bird outside at night before, this is the first year.

Linda

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orrin_h

Are you sure it's a bird and not some type of frog or toad? They can be surprisingly loud. We had one last week on the patio making quite a racket; it had us a bit confused until we managed to locate it.

-O-

Save    
glad2garden

In the spring I thought I was hearing a bird at night that was so loud. It had to be tree frogs. There were no birds there where I was hearing them, and I understand tree frogs are very hard to see on a tree.

Save    
deanie1

Have you actually seen the figure of some kind of bird in your tree? If not, I'd go with the frog/toad idea too. We have lots of them around here and they typically start up when it's about to get dark. Ours give just one "quaaaaack" at a time.

Save    
chris8796

Is it a whip-poor-will bird?

Here is a link that might be useful: bird calls

1 Like Save    
Pat z5/6 SEMich

chris8796, this is several years later but I would like to thank you for that bird calls link. Very nice of you.

Save    
jreri

I was looking to identify a bird I was hearing and came across this thread. I later was able to identify the bird as an American Woodcock. Thought I would share in case you were still wondering 10 years later.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Go Owling in October
These stealthy nocturnal hunters fill North American skies with their quiet wings and distinct calls
Full Story
Gardening Guides 13 North American Backyard Birds to Know
Find out about these enchanting native species and learn how to attract them to your yard
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Backyard Birds: Meet Some Clever and Curious Jays
Boisterous jays provide plenty of backyard bird-watching in winter. Here’s how to identify all the varieties and welcome them into your yard
Full Story