SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Giving away roses in San Antonio ....

I'm giving away most of the roses in my San Antonio garden. I've been contemplating this move because of the drought/water situation plus the need to convert to an easier care situation while I'm still young enough to enjoy the redesigning process. The discovery of chilli thrips on the roses provided the impetus to get on with the program.

A member of the San Antonio Rose Society, to which I used to belong, is going to announce it at their Nov. meeting in case members who are already treating thrips on their roses by spraying a variety of insecticides would want some of the roses.

I'm putting the giveaway announcement here on the small chance that someone around San Antonio might have relatives from a colder climate visiting for the holidays and could take them. Many are in containers or planters from which they could be easily dug and taken in a partial bare root condition. I don't want the trouble of trying to mail them unless someone else wants to come, dig, and pack them.

According to the risk map only portions of West and North Texas are not subject to hosting chilli thrips. It looks like the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is included in the risk area on the map linked below so it would not be wise to introduce them there before their 'natural' arrival. Hopefully it will be awhile before they arrive. There is one county in the general area outlined on the map where they have been discovered. Can anybody tell what county it is?

A list of roses grown in my garden is on my page. I'll be keeping a very few, maybe five or so. Perhaps I can enjoy a few blooms after a cold winter, but haven't decided which ones yet.

I'm eagerly anticipating redesigning my back yard with drought and chilli thrip resistant plants.

If interested send an email through my page.

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilli thrips risk map ....

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!