SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spedigrees

Are hawks dining on my swallows and hummingbirds?

spedigrees z4VT
13 years ago

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the disappearance of my barn swallows. Earlier in the season our nesting pair of barn swallows raised a brood of 5 babies on our porch. They all fledged successfully, but that night only one adult swallow returned to our porch to roost near the nest. No mate and no newly fledged babies.

We saw no signs of swallows about the place after that. Usually they are plentiful, swooping over the meadow catching bugs.

About that same time I've noticed numerous hawks circling overhead. Usually we only see them over the forested land on the hill behind our meadow, in the distance. Granted there is a population boom of rabbits and other rodents this year, but I fear maybe these winged predators may be snacking on our swallows instead.

About two weeks ago, 2 new pairs of swallows arrived and began to rebuild nests on our porch and in our barn. I was delighted to see them, but now just as suddenly they have vanished and their nests sit empty. About the time they vanished I noticed about 4 hawks circling and calling over a meadow just down the road from us.

Additionally the hummingbirds that had been so plentiful at the feeder on our porch now also are nowhere to be seen.

Is it possible that hawks have devoured our little songbirds? I realize that hawks also are birds and they need to eat, but with all the moles, voles and bunnies available I'd think they would not be hungry enough to pick swallows from the air.

Comments (6)