SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Carolina Wrens...I have NEVER seen this!

donnalovesblue
11 years ago

These little cuties have nested in a wall planter for 2-3 yrs. up until this season, though they're daily vistors to my yard.

Back in late winter, I noticed a nest on the inside ledge of a large column on my front porch and am pretty sure this was a nest from last season...I think!

Today, I noticed 2 Carolinas flying about and checking out this old nest. Then lo and behold, I saw them taking nesting material, and actually reconstructing this old nest to form their traditional "tunnel" nest! My nest boxes are currently empty as my resident nesters, bluebirds, chickadees and brown headed nuthatches, have long since raised their families but are at the feeders every day.

This is absolutely amazing, especially since our nesting season began early this year due to early warm temps...and currently we are in an oppressive heat wave with heat indexes in the triple digits! (Deep South) And rebuilding an old nest!!!????

Sometimes there is no explantion for Mother Nature! I have a great view of this unusual activity from my home office window and sure hope all goes well.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments (3)