SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Camping with bears!

rustyj14
18 years ago

Once upon a time (Sounds like a bear story, don't it?) We were looking for a nice quiet camp near Cherokee, N.C. finally, we found Stoney's Campground, near Cherokee, up a little side road, across the road from a cool mountain stream, so we rented a space!

Old Stoney, the Indian owner, regaled us with stories about the bears that always came into the camp at night, but, he told us not to worry--his "bear" dog would chase them away!

We had a Nimrod tent trailer, which didn't give much protection from bears, but he wasn't worried--"Just whistle and the bear dog would come and chase the bear away!"

Around 2 in the morning, i awoke to hear growling under the trailer, so i managed to peel the canvas window back a bit, and-wow-there in the gloom was a large black shape, with lots of growling going on!!

This scared me, and, being the canvas wouldn't give much protection from bear claws, i kept pushing back against my wife, who was sound asleep! She finally asked me what i was doing, so i told her about the bear outside!

she said:"If he gets you, he'll not be hungry when he gets to me!"

Well, i worried the rest of the night, and come the first rays of daylight, i carefully opened the blind, and there, outside, where i thought i had seen the bear, was the spare tire on the trailer parked next to us! And what crawled out from under our trailer??? Yep, Stoney's bear dog!

I'll tell you--it took many years for me to live that night down!!

Rustyj

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus