SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Wheel bearings re-visited!

rustyj14
18 years ago

We camped near Carlisle, Pa., at a nice campground, with a bunch from our camping club! After supper, a few of us went down to the camp office to wait for some of our stragglers, mainly those who couldn't get off early.

while standing there, a couple drove in with a big Cadillac, and a tent trailer on back. When he stopped out front, the left wheel and hub fell completely off the axle, and the trailer fell onto the ground!

The very surprised owner looked at it briefly, and went on in to register. When he came out, he couldn't understand just how that happened! somebody asked him when was the last time he had the bearings repacked or inspected!

All we got was a blank stare! He allowed the thing had been working good since he bought it new 10 years ago!

And, he asked us if we could reinstall the wheel, as he was leaving for Florida next morning!

To finish a long story, fortunately there was a place that made camping and utility trailers, so on Monday they installed a new axle, etc., and sent him on his way! Thats what you call a "lucky Dog"!

another time, a man passed me on the Pa. turnpike at high speed, towing a large utility trailer, with board slatted sides, and loaded with everything but the kitchen sink, although that might have been in there somewhere!

I could see light smoke coming from the left wheel, so i blew the horn on my motor home, but all i got was a one finger salute!

further on, i came upon a small tire, smoking, and all torn up! Then came the wheel, all bent up, and smoking! And lastly, on the berm, was the trailer, setting on a very worn off hub, the fender torn up, and a mad owner standing there scratching his head!

being that there wasn't any place to pull off, and since i had received the salute a ways back, i tooted my horn and passed him up, like a RR pay car passing a bum! And, a tractor trailer driver, on the CB, told me he had blown his horn too, and got the same reply!

Rustyj

Comments (2)

Sponsored