SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sansonet

Bluebird left the nest at night

starlinka
13 years ago

I have a bluebird nest and she has been incubating for week already. I have a camera in the nest to monitor it. Well, last night at about 11.30 I looked at the nest and she was gone. I'm not sure what happened. Nothing unusual from our side - we don't go there around dusk trying not to flush her out. I can only imagine some predator was trying to get in the box, but it is baffled, plus electric fence protected. Still, if the bluebird heard any movement near her house, she will leave the nest even after dark.

Has anybody ever witnessed such a thing? I have seen it happen after the babies had already hatched, and they survived without their mother overnight just fine. She has returned this morning and is incubating now. Will they hatch or should I throw them out so she can start over? Last night it got down to 70F.

By the way, I have it on-line - the camera is on in the afternoon and until late at night for now. I will keep it on most of the day and night after the babies have hatched (if they hatch).

Here is a link that might be useful: Webcam

Comments (11)