SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimagination_gw

Green swallow family killed by cat- 1 parent left

kimagination
10 years ago

The green swallows have been coming back to the birdhouse every year. They always have babies and last year was the first time I saw the babies leave the nest.
I was getting excited to see them leave again this year, but a cat has knocked the birdhouse over twice. (Im guessing it was a cat, I dont own one) The first time we found one baby squished on the ground, and a parent was missing. The other parent took care of the two babies left for almost 2 weeks, and this morning when I woke up I thought they might have left the nest because it was so quiet, until I looked and the birdhouse was on the ground again. Another dead baby, and I couldnt find the other one. I thought the parent swallow was gone too, but he has come back a few times to check out the house. He looks roughed up, but I was happy to see him.
After it happened the first time we wanted to secure the house somehow but didnt want to disturb the birds, I thought I blocked it with a planter, but apparently not. I feel so bad for the guy!
Will he find a new mate and keep coming back?
What do they do when their family is killed like that?

Comments (2)