SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

While looking thru some old pics...... (LB?)

korney19
14 years ago

While looking thru some old pics...... I found 3 varieties that appeared to maybe have Late Blight. I don't recall the plants ever dying or getting pulled though... they seamed to go on to be productive plants. After regularly spraying of course. But non of them died until hit by killing frost.

Ten Fingers of Naples:

{{gwi:1299318}}

{{gwi:1382221}}

Sara's Galapagos:

{{gwi:1382222}}

{{gwi:1334486}}

Galina's:

{{gwi:1382223}}

{{gwi:1382224}}

Is LB as devastating as we think? Is it selective, such that some plants in the same garden escape any signs of it at all, while a plant a few feet away is decimated?

Also, how could different heirlooms have different rates of LB disease in tests? Not only among other heirlooms, but among themselves in different years, like Brandywine being 48% diseased one year, and 1% diseased another year? And why aren't these #s 100% for all? I know I'll be planting the one 0% diseased every year tested!

As a side note, in tests, Bravo (chlorothalonil) was 90-98% effective in fighting Late Blight, Harpin (Messenger) was 4-7% (on potatoes), neem was 0%, and Bacillus subtilis (Serenade) was 0-7% (on potatoes.)

If efficacy = reduction in disease severity relative to unsprayed control, then the effectiveness measured, I would think, was as in eliminating or combating LB, not as a preventative as we usually think, no? You'd have to have something exist before you can try to effectively eliminate it. That makes it seem as though the % numbers above is a positive gain on LB, in other words, the treatment eliminated that percentage, whereas we are currently under the assumption that we cannot defeat it or keep plants alive once it hits. Maybe we are looking at things incorrectly?

Discuss please.

Comments (4)