SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Indigo Bunting, deer

rachel_frome_ky
14 years ago

The next day I after I photographed the Prairie Warbler I saw a male Indigo Bunting in a tree near the car. The flash didn't work and he immediately flew away, but the photo I got is clear enough without it

From 6-13-09

Nearby we could see two Great Spangled Fritillaries on a thistle flower

From 6-13-09

As we wound our way back down the access road a doe leaped out of the grass further down the mountainside
{{!gwi}}From 6-13-09

A little later another doe ran, then paused by the woods

From 6-13-09

We like to visit Poppy Mnt because it's just across the highway from us and has plenty of variable wildlife habitat; grassy fields, wooded gullies, and many abandoned cattle ponds, some of which are large enough to have been used as "pay lakes," where customers used to pay to fish.

My favorite old pay lake is about 1/2 an acre in size. Ten ft from shore it suddenly drops off and becomes so deep I can't touch bottom..perfect for lap swimming.

Summer Tanagers sing from the oaks surrounding the lake, Barn Swallows are nesting in the ruined shack by the shore and a Groundhog lives under it.

The reeds ringing the lake are filled with Red-winged Blackbird nests, Bobwhites call from the grass and White-eyed Vireos sing from the bushes.

So far, none of them-except the Red-winged Blackbirds of course-have come close enough for a photo, although DuBois almost got one of the groundhog.

My policy is that every time there is a break in the storms I ask DuBois to drive me up there so I can go swimming. He won't go in, but I don't mind the icy water. Here I am swimming my 25 minutes of laps this morning, trying to beat the next approaching storm, which hit on our way back.

From 6-13-09

Comments (15)