SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzyg

Success with dried mealworms...

dzyg
15 years ago

I had a duh moment the other day while reading the post from Michelle about trying dried mealworms now that Fall is here. Not sure why I never thought of trying them. The Blues are experimenting with other stuff to eat now. I found some at a local pet/feed store for $8.99 for 3.5 oz which I believe is around 2000+, they have a larger container too. Anyway I put them out this morning in a dish in the feeder along with another dish of their morning waxworms, there is also a dish of Bluebird nuggets which so far they haven't eaten. Of course they ate the live waxworms first but they did eventually start eating the dried mealworms. The females were the first brave souls to actually eat them and once they did the males followed suit. In time they actually emptied the dish of dried mealworms too. I just gave them their noon waxworms (last of the day) and I filled the bowl of dried mealworms up. At least I feel better now that they actually have something halfway decent to eat. It is cool (47 right now at 12:12PM) and rainy here today. I have noticed them starting to eat the berries here now too. I can't imagine they will be here for long yet, the latest they have stayed around has been the beginning of November though, we usually have snow by then too. Here is a shot I took of one of our males with the pretty yellow fall leaves in the background.....

Donna

Comments (4)