SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenjean7bga

Got New BB Houses up w/stovepipe baffles

greenjean7bga
15 years ago

I have learned the hard way that there is more to Blue-birding than just putting a Nest box up on a fence post.

Everything was fine for the 3 years. This year I came home from work and there was this huge rat snake in my BB box! I scared it away yet I was to late. He/she had eaten all the BB eggs. :( I moved the box to a post which was not so close to the pine tree. The pair built another nest. I put up carpet tack on this post and prayed for the best. I hope they made it since when I checked one day after work they were gone. Usually, I see Mom & Pop bring the babies to my bird bath or water garden. I never saw them. :(

I found help on another birding board and just mounted 2 new houses which I ordered from NABS, using the stovepipe baffle plans on the Salis website. Being 56 and living alone, I am happy that I was able to do this all by myself. A friend gave me a post setter and tin snips which made this job easier. I am tired but it is a very good kind of tired.

Since I live in NW GA the Blues should be checking these new houses out and using them to roost in this winter.

Wish me luck. I want my Blues back!

Jean

Comments (2)