SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

I found a nest on the ground with one tiny egg inside....

Lynn Nevins
13 years ago

In front of my urban apartment building, I found a small bird's nest on the ground with a tiny egg in it. It's hard to tell...it may have gotten a bit 'bleached' in the sun...but it appears to be very light blue with brown speckles. It couldn't have been there for more than a day or two or I thing I would have noticed it.

It probably fell from a tree above or maybe it had been under / over someone's in-window air conditioner....

In any case, I suspect that egg is a lost cause now right? The parents can't 'retrieve' it and move it to wherever they might be camping out now right? And I don't imagine they'd come back to sit on it...as the egg needed to be sat on the entire time, so they too know the chick is 'gone' right?

As for the nest itself, do birds ever use an abandoned nest? I would imagine no birds can 'carry' this nest elsewhere, and unless I can move it to a high spot (where birds might be likely to nest) it's not going to do any other birds any good if I move it to a more shady spot, if it's on the GROUND, right?

So there's nothing I can do, is there, either to 'help' the egg survive or otherwise to maybe help some other birds make use of the nest?

If the nest and the egg are both no good anymore, I'm going to give it to a friend who collects found bird nests. What about the egg? Could we keep that too, or will it at some point become er....yucky or 'rancid'?

Here's a link with pix. Any idea what bird this might have been from?

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/yippee1999/plant%20questions/

Tx

Here is a link that might be useful: nest

Comments (4)