SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonkers_for_blues

Bittersweet Bluebird Tale

bonkers_for_blues
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been far more of a lurker than poster this season but I just wanted to thank you all in advance for always giving me such great advice! Ive learned so much on this forum and, had it not been for you, this little bluebird tale I'm about to share may have had a far worse ending.

It was Thursday, July 10th; a typical, hot summer morning. My husband and I were leaving for Cape Cod the next day, so I decided to take the day off to pack. Naturally, I had my worries about leaving the blues for a whole week. Little did I know, my worst fears would be justified on that very same morning.

From the time I awoke, neither parent was seen at the nest box. Packing was put on hold. Like a frantic mother, I sat at the window  biting my nails nervously  watching and waiting for them to return. Minutes became hours, and by then, my brain was in a frantic scramble trying to figure out what happened to both parents. With my heart pounding, and stomach churning, I approached the box; fearing the nestlings might be dead.* To my relief, I heard the faintest sound of cheeping from within the box. Usually, when I do a nest check, I immediately get a scolding from the parents and/or a dive-bombing from the male. But the air around me was eerily and sadly silent. I opened the box and the babies (8 days old at the time) instinctively hunkered down. I could tell just by looking at their skin they were severely dehydrated. At that point my maternal instinct  if you will  took over. I was not about to let these babies die.

This is where I have all of you to thank. I closed the box, ran inside, and immediately called a rehabber. It seems so common sense now, but I just know that if I hadnÂt joined this forum, I would have never of thought to do that! Let me tell you, rehabbers are AMAZING! Through her expert guidance, I was instructed to feed the babies moistened mealworms and bits of blueberry without the skin. (Peeling the skin off blueberries is no easy task!) I was told to leave the babies in the nest, feed them for 10 to 15 minutes every hour, and keep a watch on the box for the parents. I followed her instructions to a T and did this from 11:30 am to 6:30 pm. Words can not explain how amazing it was to feed those babies. The fact that these little ones overcame their natural fear, gaped, and took food from me is something I will never, ever forget. The rehabber and I kept in touch by phone and I gave her updates on their progress. By 7:00 pm, and still no sign of the parents, I made the bitter acceptance that they were gone for good. I know that bluebirds can be famous for their disappearing acts, but with my husband and I leaving for vacation the very next day, I just couldnÂt leave it to chance that one of them might show up the next morning. I phoned the rehabber one last time for directions and waited for my husband to get home from work. Together we took the babies on a nerve-wracking, 45-minute drive down the busy turnpike  but of course it was all worth it!

Within minutes of handing the babies over, the rehabber began feeding them a mixture resembling baby formula, which they eagerly gobbled down. It was an abrupt and bittersweet ending to our nesting season but it gave us closure and, more importantly, peace of mind to know these babies would now be in the care of an expert. (They were released back into the wild several weeks ago.)

Thank you all very much for "listening"!

*The box is pole-mounted, baffled, and a sparrow spooker goes up as soon as the 1st egg is laid.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH