SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbend

6 nestings?

kbend
14 years ago

'Our' bluebird (has nested in our yard for 8 years and pretty much stays in our yard all 365 days/yr) has had a very tough time this year. Does anyony know if bluebird pairs can go for a 6th nesting and also this late in the year?

25 eggs so far and only 3 babies to show for it.

1st - neighbors yard. 5 eggs. Killed by sparrows about day 10.

2nd - my front yard. 5 eggs. 4 hatched. 4 fledged. 1 killed by hawk at about a week old.

3rd - different neighbhor's yard. 5 eggs. 5 hatched. All killed by something after about 5 days.

4th - my back yard. 5 eggs. 5 killed by predator about day 10.

5th - my back yard. 5 eggs. 5 hatched. All killed by predator at about day 12!

The predator is almost definitely a black and white cat. My neighbor's boxes are both on their fences and one of my three boxes is also on a fence. I did not have time to move it after the fourth nesting to a pole. I regret not doing it sooner, but after 8 years of success I was not worried.

Right now he and his wife are STILL hunting for their dead babies. It's been 48 hours, but they are going in and out of my three boxes. It could be just to hunt for his lost babies, but his actions indicated 'checking out/showing off'. I guess I will know in a few days when and if he starts feeding her....for the 6th time this year!

Comments (10)