SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzyg

Help!!!! Babies trying to fledge day 15.......

dzyg
14 years ago

Yesterday (day 14) late afternoon I was sure one of the babies left the nest as the parents were making quite the rucus outside, couldn't see the baby at all but I quickly went and checked the nestbox and there were only three in there, I checked cause I couldn't imagine it being a good flyer at day 14 and I wanted to find it if it was gone! I couldn't hear the baby or anything but then the adults were clearly trying to coax the other three from the box. After awhile things seemed to settle down a bit but the adults were staying around the nestbox so I assumed something happend to the one. This morning I went to let the dogs out and found a baby bluebird in the garage!! It must have spent the night there! So I went to put it back in the box and another one was peeking out, totally unfraid of me too! I pushed the one back in (Gilwood box) and held my hand in front of the hole until they all calmed down, two of them were trying to get out. I left and watched and in a little bit one flew out, flew a bit and landed on the ground, not a good flyer. I put a cork in the hole while I was trying to get a hole reducer made up. I had a 1 1/8 inch reducer but wasn't sure if that was small enough for the fledglings, they really seem tiny yet, so I added a bit of cardboard on the inside to make it 1 inch. By the time I got out there with that, one was one the ground and only two were in the box. Because of the Gilwood box they still were able to get out the top space. I put the one back in and put the reducer on. It is working and it cannot get back out. I have no clue where the other one is. The adults are again trying to coax the babies out of the box and have yet to land on the front or feed them. It has been about an hour now. I don't know what to do. By putting the reducer on, it closed up the air space on the top of the Gilwood, I am worried it may get too hot in there today (temps are supposed to get to 80 something) plus I am not sure if the adults will go feed them. That one I think was in the garage all evening/night so didn't get fed then either. I don't know if I should just leave them in there or take the reducer off and hope for the best. Another bad thing, my husband needs to mow the lawn tonight. Ugh! We have to get it done as we have a party on Friday and it needs to be mowed. I don't know what to do!!!!

Ok, I thought I hit submit but must not have. The female is going to the box with food. But not sure the babies are trying to get it. She can't get in of course but sticks her head in. The one that was peeking and trying to get out did give up and I don't see any of the three peeking anymore. What if the other two don't go up to get the food the mom is bringing. I am scared if I leave that reducer on the babies will die but I am afraid if they leave the box they will too!! What do I do????

Donna

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations