SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Just saw a bird not from anywhere near my area?

MojaveLove
12 years ago

I have a lot of birds in my area so I sometimes just stand at the back door and look out - the backyard is basically a prairie and we're surrounded by forest and marshes and swamps so we get all kinds of birds around here.

Anyway I just saw a GORGEOUS bird that I had never seen before that was about 3 feet away from my window so I was able to see every detail about the bird. He was a pretty big bird for a 'typical' shaped bird. He was all black, very shiny, and his head and neck were purple and blue and his eye was yellow.

Anyway from what I was able to find it was a Boat-tailed Grackle. What's weird is it looks EXACTLY like the bird in the drawing in the link at the bottom but it doesn't look like the picture?

What's even stranger is I am in Illinois and that bird is from the Southeast coastal areas. I looked at other similar ones (Great-tailed Grackle) and still not commonly in this area but are a bit closer. But I swear it was the Boat-tailed Grackle.

Do you think this is even possible? Should I be excited that I saw this or is it really not that strange to see birds from other places in the US out here? The area I live in would appear to a Boat-tailed Grackle in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boat-tailed Grackle

Comments (4)