SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpollen

What kind of soil north of Houston?

bpollen
9 years ago

Hey, all. I'm in Dallas thinking of moving to the north of Houston area. (I'm also considering a couple of places in Louisiana, which is where I'm from.)

From what I've read, the soil is different in different areas north of Houston. I've driven through there but never put a shovel to ground there. Can anyone help with the type of soil in the Conroe or The Woodlands or Spring or Tomball or Kingwood, etc., areas?

Specifically, I have my heart set on fig trees, as well as other kinds of fruit. I guess citrus is out of the question north of Houston? (Of course I could set up a greenhouse for that.) Watermelon, blackberries, figs, canteloupe. As for flowers, I would love azaleas (being from La.).

I tried figs here in Dallas, but it's too darn hot in the summer, and the winter freezes were too hard for them to take. Azaleas were out of the question, requiring too different a soil than what we have (I don't want to try growing things that don't do well in an area.)

Any help would be appreciated. It looks like south of Houston is out of my price range, so I'm focusing on north of Houston, just outside the beltway. Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH