SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahbender_gw

3rd Nesting! Question...

ahbender
11 years ago

I have a Bluebird house in my backyard that has seen 2 successful broods this summer. I have recently placed a second Bluebird house in my front yard (I was trying to see if I could get 2 different sets to nest in my yard). The house in the back has remained empty after the second group fledged around June 22nd. The house in the front showed signs of activity 3 days ago...and sure enough a nest has appeared and as of today has 1 egg!

My question is this...is this most likely the same Bluebird couple that was first using the backyard house? Or could it be another pair?

Also, I had a whistle that let the bluebirds know that it was mealworm time. They always used to come and eat from the feeder I placed near the house in the backyard. Right after the second brood fledged they would still come to eat when I would whistle. As of the last 6 days they are now not coming to eat. Any ideas on why or what has happened? Some of the worms that are placed there are not "live" ones in the bunch(the heat killed them in the shipping process)...they are hard to fish out so didnt do it. Could this be a reason?

I am new to the beautiful blues and just love learning more about them and their behavior. Thanks for your help!!

Comments (3)