lisa11310

little boy blue down

lisa11310
14 years ago

NOT a flyer has not moved in 15 minutes

Comments (15)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Oh my, what's going on? Is he on the ground? I sure hope he'll be OK. You probably don't want to take your eyes off of him!

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sitting watching him. Hes not moving or looking around, Walked up to him without parents scolding, he did lift his head so he is alive. Got a call into a rehabber and e mail to Bet. Am about ready to put him in a cage as he does not look like he will sit on a branch while I get dinner. Ok GOOD news and bad news. I was able to walk righ up to him he did not seem to see my hands coming to him. He did holler when i picked him up and flaped his wings when i put him in the cage, so he is alive and seems healthy. Parents came running and flaped me off. I will take him out after dinner set him on the ground for a bit. I am wating to see if Bet or Malinda think I shouod keep him in a cage or back in the box with a reducer. Still wating for the rehabber...dont know what to do if he is blind. If he can take flight i will let God deal with him..if not......??

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Fingers and toes are crossed for this little one! Please keep us posted.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well parents still upset but did not feed him while he was on the ground. I fed him a full 10CC? canned cat food and about 6 meal worms i squished. Hes back in the box for tonight. Got a hole reducer on there. I got pics. He has developed eye rings, and looks fine...or "normal" now, but hes not. The rehabber will come take him if he cant get to the trees by Saturday. My little boy blue is safe for the time being.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GOD willing this is my last post on Little Boy Blue
    I watched the box this morning, Dad was calling but did not go to the box to feed him even though he was peeping. I fed him another cc of wet cat food and put him on the ground. Pop was watching all of this. He fluttered up in the air for a moment then back on the ground then he fluttered agin and made it up about 6 foot to a stand of bushes. I still don't know if this baby can see but at least now he knows he can fly. I am fighting to not go to the area he flew to. Pop is calling constantly but has not flown to him. I will be watching for the next 4 hours and will try my best to not go looking for him......His parents know where he is,he has flown as birds are meant to do, he is free as he should be. I will just sit here, have a good cry and pray this baby has a good long life. He marks the end to this bittersweet nesting season.

• dzyg
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear the little guy is having so much trouble. Glad you were able to feed him. I wonder if the adults know something isn't right and that is why they aren't feeding him anymore?? I wonder if he can see at all. Poor thing! Let us know if you see him anymore and what is up.

Donna

• bluebirdbabe
    14 years ago

OMG Lisa, I should come and cry with u :( BUT...I have faith that this little guy is gonna make it!!!

Karen

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WELL CRAP! I just noticed the neighbors cat crusing through my yard heading in the direction where little boy blue flew off to. I decided to go be sure he was not on the ground....there he sat under the bush on the ground, not trying to hop away from me, not moving at all. SMELLING LIKE CAT FOOD! CRAP CRAP CRAP.
    Well I fed him again and put him back in the box. He is starting to gape for me so I know hes not going to starve. I guess he is going to have to go to the rehabber after all.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HES GONE! YEA! I Put him in the cage to feed him at 1:15 and set the cage in the garden to see if he would look around.He did have his head poped up and did apear to be looking at things. I came in to get ready for church, went back outside to feed him one more time before I left and both Mom and Dad were swooping his cage, he was trying to fly in the cage. I tried to feed him but this time he kept running to the far side of the cage and flapping. I picked him up and he screached bringing Mom and Dad to swarm my head. I opened my hand and he flew off.. this time he went about 12 feet up and about 20 feet away, but then back on the ground. The neighbors had come to retrieve their escaped cat, Mom and Dad were there flying over him so I went a head and left. On my return, 2&1/2 hour later no sign of baby anywhere. I searched the area, no parents around scolding me. I can hear Mom and Dad off in the distance in the trees. Dad had been there nearly constantly while Baby was in captivity so I have to believe they finally got him up with the rest of the gang. AMEN!

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Hallelujah! Godspeed little one!

• dzyg
    14 years ago

Any sign of them today? I sure hope the little guy is ok and was able to get back up with his little sister.

Donna

• chinamigarden
    14 years ago

I'm sure glad he didn't hurt himself in that cage.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys, Mom and Dad are still up in the trees off in the distance.The nice part of living in the woods is they dont have to go far. I will definatly be holdig my breath to see if both babies come to visit in a week or two. China, you have a good point, I know putting a wild bird in a cage can be harmful, but his vision was of concern. He was not getting any visual stimulation in the nestbox so I could not really tell if he was sighted even with a nestcam. The cage was the only option to keep him safe yet allow him to to feel and "see " the great outdoors and other birds flying. The fact that both times I saw him take flight he flew straight for the trees/bushes has convinsed me that he has some sight. I suspect he may only see large shapes or things very close, maybe not being able to focus on a spot to perch? I guess we will never know. As much as I wanted to help him and have him looked at I also wanted him to fly and be free. Mom coming to assist Dad in retreiving their baby seemed the perfet moment to let nature take over. I hope my interferance provided him the safety and nourishment he needed to have one more chance at being a free bird. He never would have made it this far had I left him where he laid when he first fledged. I will let you all know if I see him again!

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Great job, Lisa! Your efforts have indeed given him a chance and it sounds like, at this point, he's OK.

• janie_may
    14 years ago

Glad this turned out well, Lisa! GOOD JOB!