SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendra2003

Clutch 3, 3 days old

kendra2003
11 years ago

The baby blues from clutch #3 are now 3 days old. All five appear to be doing great. Checked under nest and so far no sign of any blowfly larva.

Comments (24)

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Kendra, my third nesting is on day 14/13 today (hatched over two days). I lifted the nest and brushed out the bottom on about day 6 so hopefully no blowfly larva here either!

Donna

• deedee1028
    11 years ago

I didn't realize you could lift the nest up and do that this is good to know I'm always learning on this forum from everyone. Great picture of babies I so love these birds best mothers day present I ever got was my bluebird
    box 5 yrs ago. Good Luck!!

• Related Discussions

BB Chicks - 3 Days old

Q

Comments (2)
    Just a few hours later - when I first opened the box there were 3 gaping beaks - but the 3rd went right back to sleep immediately, joining 2 others that have been sleeping everytime I've looked in. I know this is "old hat" to some of you, but to me it's exciting because when I had them at my other place I didn't have a camera that would take good photos of them. I'm hooked! :o)
    ...See More

3-day old cardinals disappear from nest

Q

Comments (4)
    My guess would be that the hatchlings died and the parents disposed of them. I've seen this on numerous occasions--especially during a cold, wet spring. We once had a pair nesting in a yew right under our window. We watched them sit and hatch 4 nestlings. One week the weather turned, and the nestlings died. We watched as one of the parents picked up a dead chick and flew off. I guess that explains why occasionally you'll find a dead baby bird in the middle of nowhere. I think this has been a particularly tough spring. I've noticed more failed nesting attempts at our houses than usual.
    ...See More

Glass cooktop - 3 days old and scratched already?

Q

Comments (4)
    I've had my Jennair cooktop for 2 years now and nary a scratch. We slide pots on it all the time, many a boiled over mess too! I can say that I have never had to take a razor blade to it to get the stuff off either. That's why I'm leery of a Kenmore glass top for my new range. I'll be so sorry to let go of this Jennair cooktop - but my kitchen just can't support cooktop and wall oven as it's too small. :(
    ...See More

3-day old pie crust: Use or start over?

Q

Comments (4)
    another who says go ahead....but to be sure it doesn't taste "off" I would pinch off about 2 teaspoons of the dough, flatten it, bake it and taste....you can bake it in the micro....it won't brown but will cook and give you the taste. Linda c
    ...See More
  • ohsoblue77
    11 years ago

Looking good Kendra! Try to give them a break from this heat! I can't imagine ANYONE on this forum is out of this awful heat??? Seems the entire country is suffering.

I'm glad to hear about all these 3rd broods! I only have one bid nest left...at my other site. 4 Bluebirds that are 14 days old. Here in my backyard, all the TRES and Bluebirds have fledged as of yesterday.

Why must the nesting season go so fast?? One of these years I'd like a 2ND BROOD from my bluebirds!

~Tim~

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

Yes DeeDee you can just lift the nest with a hamburger flipper! SO easy! The blowfly are usually at the bottom of the nest during the hottest part of the day and you can just lift the nest and brush them out! : )

• whatis123 Mo.(6)
    11 years ago

They are darling Kendra. Great picture !
    Carolyn

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The babies from the third clutch are now 8 days old. What a difference. No more naked appendages. The pin feathers are coming in wonderfully. While they are doing fine and have full crops, I found a ton of blowfly larva under the nest and had to do a nest change. As I took each one out to inspect it for any attached blowfly larva, each one in turn pooped. Made a new nest, bagged the infested one, and all five should do just fine now.

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

AAAWWWWW.

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Glad you got the blowfly larva out Kendra!! Gosh I hate those dang blowflies, they are usually bad here but this year I have had hardly any in the boxes.

As far as nestlings pooping when you pick them up, when I cleaned out the nestbox of TRES that the HOSP had gotten too and I picked up the live ones they all pooped too. One on my hand but then I got wise and let them poop off to the side before I put them in my hand. LOL!

That is a great shot of the nestlings! I didn't take any inbox shots of my third nesting. I am hearing them calling in the woods but it is so hot out again today I am mostly inside and just keeping the mealworm feeder full. I can't wait to see the fledglings!

Donna

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All five successfully fledged either last night or this morning. I did not get to witness it this time, but checked the nest this afternoon and all babies were gone. Will continue to listen and look to the trees. I'm sure they'll be back for mealworms in a week or two.

• sagrinin
    11 years ago

Congrats Kendra. so glad they were all Ok. I never had any blow fly larvae in my nests. Had a little trouble with ants, and that may be why one of my bbs died, but it was older. My latest nesting I greased the pole right away, no ants or insects of any kind.

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sagrinin. I had trouble with ants during their second clutch and I didn't even know it until they fledged and I went to remove the nest. I had checked under the nest for blowfly larva, and didn't see any ants at the time. I guess they all made it because the ants must have infested the nest after I was no longer doing nest checks. I won't forget to grease that pole again.

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

Always a very happy but sad day when the last babies of the season leave. Mine have not come back after fledging 4 weeks ago. The baby Hawks that have been hanging out here have moved on. Don't know if the Blues will return now or not, my Robins have gone into hiding to. I hope they at least come back before Fall migration, I have 5-6 thousand worms for them! SO Kendra (and all) guess we get caught up on the housework we didn't do LOL Blessings to all and just think in about 8 months we get to do it all again!: )

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is such a bummer that yours have not returned in 4 weeks. With all those mealworms you've got, I sure hope they return soon! The parent birds from this clutch are still coming everyday for mealworms, they just don't usually bring back the fledglings until a week or two after they leave the nest. The hummingbird juveniles are out and about now, and I am inundated with them this season. Last night the air was thick with dragonflies and there were Chimney Swifts and Barn Swallows swooping all over. I was out on the deck, and they would pass as close as ten feet over my head to feed. So while there are no more nests this season, there's still plenty of bird stuff going on.

• sagrinin
    11 years ago

It is kind of sad when the last blue babies have fledged. What are we to do now?? As Lisa said, we can now clean clean clean. I still see my blues around but don't see any robins and not a whole lot of anything else. As Lisa said, before you know it we can do it all again. This was my first year for blues and I have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks everyone!

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After almost two weeks, the parents are bringing the babies from the third clutch to the mealworm feeder. I couldn't get a good photo of the group of them begging, but I did get a cute picture of momma blue feeding a young female.

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Great shot Kendra! I still don't know for sure if only four or all five made it from my third nesting. I only see four at a time but for some reason I think all five are here. Not positive though, they don't all come as a group...mom did most of the feeding of the fledglings this go round. Both adults are looking really scruffy in their moulting..Fledglings have been feeding themselves for some time now. The all come to the mealworm feeder...that is when there is room as we have at least 11 Orioles that visit the mealworm feeder several times a day too. Plus they went through 2lbs of jelly in two days! I know they will be leaving soon though...they sure are pretty.

Donna

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I envy you Donna. Orioles are just so gorgeous. I suppose going through that much jelly must get expensive though. My adult Blues are also starting their molt and are looking pretty scruffy as well. My third clutch fledged after yours, and the babies are just starting to be able to feed themselves. They prefer the parents feed them if they're nearby.

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Orioles are really pretty and I have been getting lots of photos of them too. Ok, now we are at 4lbs of jelly in four days. LOL! But today they didn't eat quite as much jelly. The jelly isn't as pricey as the mealworms though. I have been putting out both live and rehydrated dried ones as they have been eating sooo much. I went through approx 5,000 dried ones in a weeks time and have been going through 500+ live ones a day.

Thought you might like to see some photos Kendra...

Donna

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Donna, absolutely gorgeous photos. Thanks so much for sharing those. The males are just such a stunning orange, it's hard to think of it as a natural feather color. They just seem to light up. That is an awful lot of mealworms to go through. You sure are devoted! I love spoiling the Blues, but could not come up with those numbers. Where do you offer the mealworms to the Orioles? Do you have a special feeder for them? Those pictures are just awesome.

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Kendra, the Orioles just found the feeder that I have for the Bluebirds....I will post a pick of it. It's a homemade jailhouse style feeder.....it has seen better days though...it is kinda warped...it is on its 7th year though...

• sagrinin
    11 years ago

I didn't realize you could put the feeder on a deck or close to the house. Is that so?

• dzyg
    11 years ago

sagrinin....you can train bluebirds to come to any type of feeder and put it pretty much anywhere you want it....just takes a little time and patience.

Donna

• kendra2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does depend though on what you have scurrying about. I had to move mine from my deck and put it on a post with a stovepipe guard because chipmunks would raid it. I guess you're lucky Donna that you don't have that problem and can keep it up on your deck. You do have a beautiful setup. How lucky you are that you can watch the Blues and the Orioles from so close.

• sagrinin
    11 years ago

Thanks Donna, Kendra and Everyone - I don't have a deck so I could hang mine in a tree near the house. I haven't purchased one yet, but I saw a couple at the Wild Bird Unlimited Store. Plan on going there. There is a fellow in my neighborhood that rings a bell when it is feeding time and here they come. I would like to work at something like that. I still see my blues around and they seem to be hanging out in a very large tree out at the edge of the golf course near my house. I love watching and like everyone else, I get nothing else done.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!