SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

crow vs great blue heron?

dirtgirl
14 years ago

A few days back I was out messing around the front yard when I suddenly heard a crow going nuts, making what I call a "hassleing" call, the one I hear them use when they are giving the red-shouldered hawks in the back yard a hard time. Anyway, I spun around to check things out and was shocked to see a great blue heron blasting its way through the woods, barely 4 or 5 feet off the ground to avoid the branches in the middle and upper canopy. It was grunting and croaking wildly and having to really do some power navigating to dodge all the trees( we only have a very narrow strip of grass and the rest of it is all trees). I then noticed it had something clenched firmly in its bill, something flopping loosely and obviously either dead or not far from it. It looked like a small animal or bird, not a fish at all. Hot on its tail was the crow that had been making all the racket, and the whole thing reminded me of that Star Wars/ Return of the Jedi scene where they are racing hoverbikes through this immense stand of what looks like redwoods. I don't think of herons as being aerial masters of the dense understory but this one was actually doing ok.

Then I realized that there had to one of two things going on here: either this heron had successfully nabbed a food item and the crow was heckling him to make him drop it, or else --and this is where I am unsure of things--the heron had snatched a crow chick and was trying to make a getaway from one of the enraged parents.

I know herons will be opportunistic feeders but a crow chick? Would they DO this?? There are several crow's nests not far behind the yard, off in the main swamp area, and I know the herons can see them plainly as they come and go from the sloughs, but by now I would think the first brood woudl be bigger than this. Course maybe some crows lost a brood for some reason and tried again and these would then be smaller chicks, but...this is all just speculation of course, but it sure was a thing to see! Like seeing a B-29 trying to dogfight a F-18 at 1000 feet and then buzz the tower.

Comments (3)