SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timothy_birdlover

Sparrow Proof

timothy_birdlover
15 years ago

My wife and I recently moved to Martinsburg WV (Eastern Panhandle) we did not have bluebirds in Toledo Ohio so we were very excited the first time one landed on our fence. We live outside of town so there are a lot of song birds around. I immediately built a nest box and mounted it on the fence post. The bluebirds started checking it out and pretty soon the female started taking grass inside and building a nest.

It didn't take very long before the sparrows started trying to take over. After reading everything I could find on this site and others, I decided to try the fish line filament idea that was posted on this site.

as a added precaution I put some gift wrapping silver mylar on the post above the house.

Now the mother has been sitting on three eggs for about two weeks and I have not seen a sparrow within twenty yards of the box. They simply won't go near it. It truly does "Freak" them out. I tied large metal washers to the line to keep it taut. They kinda just dangle in the wind.

We have been checking the eggs daily and I thing within a few days we will have babies in the box. I also lay a little pile of freeze dried meal worms on the fence rail which the male gobble up in no time at all.

Thank you to all the members of this site that have provided so much great information that allowed us to reach this point in our new found Bluebird interest and preservation. I will be posting links to all my photos soon.

Comments (22)