SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
n_gwinn

My blue birds don't follow the rules

n.gwinn
14 years ago

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and to back yard birds in general. I am completely amature and am just blessed with a great environment for birds. We moved here about 7 years ago, and on the tree just outside our back door there was a bb nest house that we did not bother to remove. In the spring, two bb's came and had two rounds of babies (4 or 5) per batch. We thought, "Well, isn't that fun?" We never touched the house. We didn't clean out old nests or ever close the side panel. It stayed open year round. This went on for several years. Then, someone said that we needed to clean the nest out every year and close up that side pannel that was hanging down. We did this, and the bb's did not approve. They left and did not come back for two years. Just the other day, I saw a new pair of bb's making a nest in the house. I am not going to try to close the side panel. I was thinking about putting out some food. Maybe those mealie worms that I have been reading about. But, as my birds do not seem to follow the rules, I am timid to put out a feeding plate and scare them away.

Any suggestions?

Nancy

Comments (23)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor