wren eggs in box without nest

lorraine303

I haven't posted here in a long time, mainly because we were without bluebirds for the last three years. However, they returned this spring and their first five eggs were destroyed by the wrens. We removed the nest, the wrens relocated themselves and the blues built a second nest that fledged four babies. The blues had a third nest built and the wrens started putting twigs on top of it again. We have been in a constant battle with the wrens for the last week. They made such a mess of the bluebird nest that we had to remove that also (I do not believe that the blues would have returned to it anyway). We do not have a wren guard.

The situation is this now - there are a few twigs in the box and the wren has laid her egg on the bare bottom of the box. We do not want the wrens to be there, but can we remove the egg even though there is no real nest in there?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310

Why don't you have a Wren guard? They are very easy to make.
House Wrens are a protected bird. I would not want them either!

Save    
bigmatt

The Wren was ready to lay,you removed the nest,So she laid without a nest.They will most likely build a new nest on top of the eggs and lay a new clutch.

matt

Save    
bluebars

Oh my, what a quandary!
Our bluebirds have been battling HOWR too. But they have defended their territory and protected their 4 eggs. So far so good. The wren was removing nest material before the bluebird eggs were laid, so there was only a minimal amount of pine needles left in there. All the soft grasses had been removed by the #$@% wren. So the bluebird eggs are being incubated, but are nearly touching the wood floor. I've wondered if I should add some soft grasses, but then, I think, Mama knows best. Sometimes it is difficult to know what to do.
Surely a wren guard would not help you at this point. Sorry, I'm no help at all.
BlueBars

Save    
chickadeedeedee

The wren eggs are just as protected as are the birds themselves. There's a discussion about the protection of birds and YouTube in the Birdwatching forum.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Earth Day What to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
Saving Water Collecting Rainwater and Eggs From a California Chicken Coop
See how a butterfly roof helps a hen home’s design soar into double-duty territory
Full Story
Decorating Guides Feathers for Your Nest
Enjoy the natural beauty of dropped feathers in casual collections around the house
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More