A Question about A Carolina Wren Nest and Eggs
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
First Pipevine Swallowtail Eggs and Wren's Nest
Comments (9)Wow, it looks like she left you the mother lode there, Sherry! ;-) I think the most I ever had in a bunch was about 24. They're my very favorite caterpillar to raise. I love to put a few lengths of vine in a big storage container and watch the cats scurry along on their way to somewhere that I guess they have in mind. They always make it look like it's urgent. Ha. That's a Carolina wren for ya, building a nest in such a strange place. One year I had a pair build a nest on one of the shelves in my workshop after those little opportunists sneaked in there a few days when I had the door open and made themselves right at home. I didn't shut the door again until after the babies fledged. I have bluebird houses stacked up in our corncrib and one year the Carolina wrens made a nest in one of them even with it turned upside down. My dad had one build a nest in his fishing net one yet. Out of all of the birds that I get here, I call them the most eccentric. :) They sure are cute little things and they love the peanut butter/cornmeal/shortening mix that I put out in a log feeder for them in the winter. Cathy...See MoreRobin defending Carolina Wren nest????
Comments (1)I would not be surprised. Yesterday I witnessed something very similar-only the reverse. I have a mama robin in a nest near my front window. I was in the garden and I heard her peeping wildly. When I came around the corner, there were 5 blackbirds harassing her---getting close to her nest and posing a threat. I tried to shoo them away, but they ignored me and were too high up. Then I noticed about 4 other robins and a couple of wrens flying in and they chased the blackbirds off to a tree across the street. Mama robin settled back into her nest with her two babies. The other birds sat in her tree for a little while and then flew off. I was really impressed. Mother Nature is really heartwarming at times...so yes, your little robin could indeed be helping out a friend. :)...See MoreCarolina Wren nest
Comments (5)This is an issue which I have encountered many times in the past. Those silly Carolina Wrens will always choose the oddest places for their nests! You can hang all the wonderful "Wren" boxes that you want, and they will ignore them and go and build a nest inside your garden clogs. :0) It is VERY common for them to sneak into garages and find a little nook to build in. I had them build inside a Walmart bag that was full of rags and hanging inside my garage. I ended up moving the whole bag of rags with the nest inside to the outside wall of my house underneath an eave. Do you think that my neighbors thought that I was a bit "off" when they saw me hanging a plastic Walmart bag full of rags onto the outside of my house? LOL.. The Wrens went right to that bag and hatched, raised, and fledged their brood from it without problems!! So, I say, good for you!! I think that you did just the right thing. :o)...See MoreCarolina wren laying on Blubird eggs?
Comments (5)I will take pictures. I am positive it is a carolina wren. The eggs are to dark to be robins eggs. It is the clutch of the tree. I think it's a small crabapple tree. The nest is only 7ft up. She's gotten use to me and will let me be a foot away. I know that none of this makes sense. Maybe she is just confused. Wrong nest,wrong eggs,?...See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING FOR BIRDSWhat to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
PETSHens Nest in Style in a Modern Nevada Coop
Take a mini tour of a backyard chicken coop built by a pro designer with all the essentials for the 'clients' and then some
Full Story
HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: Step Inside an Industrial-Chic Forever Home
See how a former commercial space becomes an art-filled dream home for 2
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Country-Chic Farmhouse in North Carolina
An open, contemporary layout and an expansive, picture-perfect site sit pretty with a family from the West Coast
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSA Formerly Weedy Lot Now Brims With Edibles and Honeybees
Photographers transform their barren backyard into an oasis filled with fruit, vegetables, honey, eggs and more
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
HOME TECHWhy Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSmall Carpenter Bees Are Looking for a Home in Your Plant Stems
Provide flowers and nesting sites in your garden for this beautiful, tiny, metallic blue wild bee — your plants will thank you
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD4 Farm-Fresh Chicken Coops in Urban Backyards
These Atlanta henhouses are worth crowing about for their charming, practical designs
Full StoryMore Discussions
Lorena Tezcucano Stoner