SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

About time: 3 eggs hatch: Site #1

ohsoblue77
12 years ago

After 3, strange, low egg count failed attempts at nesting at my backyard nest boxes, Mrs. Blues's 3 eggs hatched on the 11th and 12th and are now 11 days old.

The heat has been the only concern and I've taken a suggestion of a heat shield from Bluebird Trails, however mine is just the roof and is tin foil in a half-circle design with airspace between the foil and the actual roof.

I tried uploading a photo but it was too large. Can anyone help on recommending a program that would reduce photo size? I tried one and it didn't work. I WAS using a digital camera but now I'm using my phone's camera.

The pair at site #2 who fledged a successful nest of 4 has not started another nest but a couple days ago I saw one of the fledglings. They are now as large as the adults.

This, and a nest of TRES with 3 nestlings, are the only two boxes that remain with nest contents. After they fledge I will assume the end of the nesting season. Only 7 bluebirds this year:(.....15 Tres....of course, with higher numbers. I hoped for 2nd broods for both BB pairs but with the timing and this awful heat wave I think the timing just isn't right this year:(

Good luck to everyone and enjoy the few weeks to month that are left in the season.

Tim

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH