SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Cardinal Feeding -Demanding! Babies?

dianepmt
13 years ago

I wasn't sure where to post this, I've been trying to find some answers online about whether this might be the time of year for hatchlings. I've been feeding a pair of cardinals in zone 5, SE Michigan for the last couple years on and off, at least I assume it's the same pair. Work at home all day and the male in particular has a whole routine with me and will buzz the window (when I dutifully go out with sunflower seeds or walnuts or whatever). Lately it's all day long, and he's taken to perching on the frame and knocking on the window with his beak, flying into the back door and trying to see in because he knows I'm in here with food. When he sees me he goes crazy. I don't remember him ever being this earnest before and wondering if he's feeding some babies right now.

We live in a fairly urban area and actually found a dying rat in our driveway the other day, so I think the buffet needs to end, too much stray seed is probably attracting them. I'm also worried he doesn't know how to find his own food anymore, so I feel like I should wean him off. My husband thinks it might be hatchling season and I should keep it up awhile longer and then taper him off.

Any thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida