SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quadzillabill

Help me attract more birds :-)

quadzillabill
14 years ago

So far, we've had a great early season - if just a bit slow - here in the middle of Michigan. I've got all my feeders out and the deer are finding enough elsewhere that they are no longer raiding them every night. I have a nice, large wooded yard and border the edge of several hundred acres of forest. I am filling multiple feeders with Black Oil Sunflower seed and safflower seed. Two big Droll Yankee thistle feeders. I have two hummingbird feeders and an oriole feeder with liquid and grape jelly - as well as three suet feeders. The draw has been good so far:

Finches of all kinds

Sparrows

Red-Winged Blackbirds and Grackles (not a nuisance yet)

Doves

Red Breasted Grosbeaks - two pairs

Baltimore Orioles

Orchard Orioles

Ruby Throated Hummingbirds

Downy Woodpeckers

Red Bellied Woodpeckers

Tufted Titmouse (mice?)

Cardinals

Nuthatches

Heard, but haven't seen the Pileated Woodpeckers.

Have yet to see any of the Flickers that usually visit.

All of that is great and a wonderful show - but I find myself wanting more.

I know we have indigo buntings, tanagers and other breeds I probably don't even know about in this area and would love to see some of those less frequent visitors. What strategies should I use to target those and other harder-to-find birds that are found in Michigan?

I'm sure that I should be adding some more foods to the feeder lineup for diversity, but I'd like your feedback on what the best options are making my bird haven well rounded here in Michigan.

Thanks in advance.

Q

Comments (6)