SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

My Blues Have Just Vanished!!!!

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

Gone...Awol...MIA...whatever!!! The 2nd set fledged 6/19 and 6/20 I posted a message about not seeing the babies anywhere...6/20 was the last I even saw Mom and Dad, and still no sign of fledglings, either. I don't even HEAR them, and I've watched and listened constantly...I even drove down the end of our cul-de-dac to see if I could spot Mom and Dad...they just seemed to have vanished off the face of the earth!!!

I've been out of mealies, so I found some waxworms, put them in the feeder, and called to them...and nothing!!! Even though they have plenty of good bugs all around, they always come when they hear the whistle!

I know the blues can be unpredictable, and I've been reading the posts about either a Mom or Dad being MIA for a few days, but this is just a mystery and making me very sad. Right now, I'm thinking that the chances of a 3rd round are pretty slim and that is so disappointing...Maybe it's still too early to tell, but I can't figure out why they just totally disappeared! Any thoughts??? Thanks..

Donna

Comments (15)

• kenn3d
    15 years ago

Sorry Donna, gosh... I do feel your pain.
    Our one and only late-summer nesting last year ended with the entire family fanishing for 4-6wks. Very empty feeling then.

But don't despair. Our pair is on nest 3 now and Missy is incubating her 5 new eggs. Their urge is strong, and there is still time.

best luck,

Kenn

• mullipuff
    15 years ago

Donna -

I was so sad I cried when my first set vanished after fledging. I didn't see feather or beak of any of them for close to two weeks. Then fleeting glimpses of Dad coming back to check for worms (I would wait and put them out as soon as I saw him). And then they all came back and ate heartily while the first three little guys grew in their feathers and Mom and Dad laid a new set. That set fledged today. And honestly, I wish I could say it happened completely like last time, because (to my great dismay) the Runt came stumbling out of the box tonight at 7:15, a full three hours after his four siblings!! NOT a good flyer and darkness coming FAST!! I think I'd have done anything to have had them all fly far away on strong, able wings. Instead, now I'm worrying about this little runty Blue out there in the dark cold night...
    But I digress - I bet they'll be back - give them just a little more time and keep us posted.

• Related Discussions

Just got my Blue J Iris order and would you plant here?

Q

Comments (3)
    I think I would plant something that climps up that shrub .If it takes over the shrub then mayby they will let you cut it down. The iris won,t get tall enough to cover it. I would plant them to either side instead. If you offered to replace the shrub with another just like it would they go for that?
    ...See More

Just sharing a pic of my Blue Cadet

Q

Comments (13)
    Hey Don, I got your unedited version of the post and had to reply. True enough about not wanting to divide your hosta. I just divided one of my Stargate's, because I discovered it had 2 streaked eyes and 2 solid green eyes. Did not want to wind up with another totally solid greenie. i'm wondering what that greenie could be, will have to check it out. Both halves were the same size though. Nothing exciting. I probably could share the greenie, at least ONE EYE. Even though it is a fragrant, it is supposed to be sterile.
    ...See More

Daddy may have vanished

Q

Comments (10)
    Glad he returned, I must have been posting about the same time you did. I got interrupted in the middle before I hit submit. I had a little problem getting my female to go into my feeder too, I have a platform one though and I had clamped it onto a small 3step stepladder. The female would go to the dish on the ground but not when I put it in the feeder. Finally I took the feeder off and just put the dish on the top of the ladder, once she was ok with that (which was immediately) I put the feeder back on top of the ladder with the dish inside and she went in then. I always take the mealworm dishes in at night. At first I was carrying the whole ladder and feeder down in the mornings and put it back in the garage at night, then I gradually brought it up to our deck. Now I leave the feeder on the deck at night but still bring in the dishes. They are normally empty anyway but I don't want anything else messing with it at night. Donna Donna
    ...See More

My submit button has vanished somebody...

Q

Comments (0)
    Please tell me how I can refresh comments. Anyway, we had some sun today,and more butterflies Are coming into the back yard from the woods. I saw one American lady. I saw several red- spotted Purples, and more than two,maybe three Palamedes. I also saw a Spicebush swallowtail. I did not see any Tigers today. The little brown butterflies have been around for A while already; they always stay just above the Ground. DD
    ...See More
  • donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much..and congrats, Mullipuff, on your new fledglings..I'm sure your little runt will be safe!!!

I just miss them so much and wonder where in the heck are they!!! So very strange, but I'll keep on watching and listening, and waiting...

Thanks to you too, Kenn...Your Missy is quite the Mom!!! Wow...five eggs this time??? I look forward to seeing the pics of the babies, as always.

Donna

• griffin_MD
    15 years ago

I wouldn't give up hope just yet, Donna. There's still plenty of time and I suspect that they are taking a much-deserved breather. If I were you, I'd try and relax a bit yourself during this lull because I don't think they're done yet!
    Kathy

• bluebars
    15 years ago

It's called Empty Nest Syndrome. Just be happy that there is more blue in the sky, and you have done all you can for them. Don't be sad unless there was a nest failure!
    They are wild creatures, and they don't live by our rules. Right now they have to teach those fledglings to find food and be safe; they are very vulnerable and MUST learn to stay hidden. Hopefully, they will return soon. There is plenty of time for another brood, so now get that nestbox cleaned out and ready. And CONGRATS!
    BlueBars

• trailerparkbirds
    15 years ago

I feel your pain also Donna, the second batch left haven't seen hide or low of the first batch of fledglings or the second batch of fledglings. There's an adult pair of bluebirds working on a new clutch, but I suspect either the female or male isn't the original pair. I suspect the original adult pair has split off and one of them has ran off with the kids. It is still dry here in Tennessee, their isn't much flying insects around the trailerpark so I suspect they have moved out of the neighborhood for a better neighborhood and/or as far as peace and quiet goes have left for a better place.
    Keith

• green_t
    15 years ago

That sounds familiar- "Where have all the bluebirds gone?" Maybe they have been fooling us all these years- hiding away so we'll erect houses & build trails for them! :)

I wouldn't worry- there wasn't any sign of fledglings or Mom for weeks after mine left the box. I see an empty box is a victory- when opening it after the "presumed" fledge day there is always that fear of finding dead chicks or other problems- a nest intact and empty is a sigh of relief. The parents probably just have their hands full with their new family and are very busy concentrating on their offspring's survival. They'll be back and it will make it all the better when you finally see them again!

Tracey

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks, all!!! I'm so glad to hear that my little Blue's vanishing act is familiar...Since I'm still new to bluebirding, I just expected the scenario after the 2nd fledging would be exactly like the first!!!

LOL, Kathy...I do need to relax and keep reminding myself that those NINE little blues from the first and second nesting are hopefully safe, secure and flying about...that does bring joy to my heart!

The nestbox has been cleaned out and ready to go should there be a 3rd nesting! All of you have given me renewed hope!

Donna

• janie_may
    15 years ago

Donna, the same thing happened to me (my first year hosting bluebirds) and I was frantic. I went way beyond driving to the closest Cul-d-sac....... honey, I drove through every street in my subdivision and CALLED and WHISTLED to them! (OMG, the looks I got from people who first asked if I'd lost my dog and then looked at me with shock when I told them I was looking for "my" bluebirds!!!) It was after their second and last nesting of that first season and I was just heartbroken when they took off with their four babies. It was explained to me on this forum that sometimes they go on a little "bluebird hiatus" and I do believe that's what happened. On the 16th day of them MIA, I pulled into my driveway and saw the adults sitting on the electrical wires across the street. I few inside, grabbed a cup of meal worms, called them and filled their feeder. They came straight to it PROVING it was my couple, Ma & Pa! They had two of the four fledglings with them. I scolded them repeatedly and then just cried, tears of joy. That was the one and only time they are any couples since have disappeared for that length of time.

Hope you see your two very soon!

• dzyg
    15 years ago

Donna, I sure hope they come back for you. IMO, the mealworms are what keeps them in your yard and if you ran out maybe that is why they left. However it does sound normal from what everyone says. This is only my third year hosting Blues and only the first year did I get a first and a second nesting in my yard. That first year the Blues never left after the first or second fledging until it was time to leave for the Winter. Last year and this year my pair showed up late so I am assuming they both had a failed first nesting and my yard was their second nesting so there was no time for an additional one. Last years pair didn't leave my yard until it was time to migrate south either.

At the park where I monitor five nestboxes, last year I got two nestings of Blues in one box. I didn't see any of the first fledglings but I did see the second ones. This year I had two nesting of Blues down at the park. Both have fledged, one pair has just laid its third egg of the second nesting and I did see three of the four fledglings this past weekend. The other pair I haven't seen nor heard from since fledging. I keep checking the box, Friday will be two weeks since they fledged. Today while checking (still nothing in the box) I did hear a baby Blue in the woods so I am thinking maybe (hoping) they are back around to start the second nesting. It is too far away from the other box to be a flegling from the other pair down there.

Donna

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Janie..you Crack Me Up!!! I laughed all the way through your response! I didn't go to that in extreme when I drove down the cul-de-sc, but I sure as heck wanted to! I had the binocs, window rolled down but didn't get out of the car, for fear the neighbors would alert the police of suspicious activity!

I just love these BB stories and rely upon them everyday!

Yes, I need some mealworms...so many other things have demanded my attention this past week, but I intend to order some (I believe Dean's supplier in GA) tomorrow...hopefully Sunshine will have some beginning next week! Can't believe that this time last year, I never thought I would host bluebirds and become addicted to them...come to think of it, this time last year, I had never heard of mealworms!

Many thanks again for your thoughts and Lord knows, patience with us "newbies"!

Donna

• griffin_MD
    15 years ago

This hiatus business seems to be a little early this year--my blues are still going strong, but I suspect it's because we had such a cool, wet spring. I do know that we have this discussion every year and, for those of you who are newbies, their disappearance is NOT because of something YOU did. I, personally, believe the bluebirds are all together somewhere, laughing at all us crazy humans because we're wondering where in the heck they've gone to--it's a conspiracy, I tell you. Janie, I've never resorted to driving around the neighborhood and calling my blues, as you described, but I will admit to pratically giving myself whiplash when I even think I hear them during this lull!!!!
    Hang in there guys, they'll be back.
    Kathy

• Cabin_Gal
    15 years ago

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who drops everything when I hear those bluebird sounds to see if they are back in my yard where they belong, lol. They have been so elusive, I'll hear them and know they're out there, but they don't come close enough. Oh they do an occasional fly by, just to tease and keep me in my place. I know they will be back, and hopefully nest one more time this year. But for whatever reason they are delighting in playing hide and seek right now. But on the bright side the little titmice have been so fun to watch. They come to the water and splash and play, then hang around chattering and eating from the feeder. When one species plays with your mind another is there to fill the void.

• janie_may
    15 years ago

You all, if I weren't as old as I am I would probably be ashamed and embarrassed by some of my crazy bluebird behavior over the past few years. :D Come to think of it, my hubby is OLDER than I am and he's still ashamed and embarrassed by it! LOL! My sons do their best to ignore most things I do regarding "my" bluebirds.

Get a load of this, when I told people I was looking for my bluebirds they asked me if they were pets! I guess that was a valid question considering that I said they were "my" birds.

It really is amazing how attached we get to our box nesters even though they are wild and there are so many things that can happen to them no matter how safe we try to make their nesting experience. Even when it's out of my control and I KNOW that it's out of my control I still worry like there is something I can do to keep them safe forever.

• geebeekc
    15 years ago

In years past, the parents & fledges disappeared for a couple of weeks and then I would start seeing them come around for mealies or water. This year, my first family has disappeared for weeks. They don't even come to the bird bath. But mom and dad have started a new nest, and one day I saw one of the babies up on the sparrow spooker and dad seemed to run him off. I think they are still trying to keep them hidden..."No Bambi, you must never run out into the meadow!" I miss them but am sure they are fine.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES